Bryan’s Fuel is a local provider of home heating and home comfort products in the Dufferin County and Peel Region. The main office for Bryan’s Fuel is located in Orangeville and their
team services nearby communities from Shelburne to Caledon to Marsville.
Bryan’s Fuel has a long history in the area. The Bryan family has been serving customers across Ontario since the 1930s and the current owner, Roy Bryan, is the 3rd generation of the family to run the business.
Intrigue began helping Bryan’s Fuel with their marketing services in 2015. Since then, Bryan’s Fuel has experienced consistent, year-over-year growth in their online leads. Our team
has been able to help them achieve a number of marketing objectives, including:
Creating consistent brand presence across all their marketing platforms
Building a scalable and predictable lead generation system online
Increasing customer engagement to better retain customers
Improving customer awareness of different services (other than HVAC)
Proven Results in Lead Generation
In the past 12 months, Bryan’s Fuel have received nearly 1,000 high-quality leads from online initiatives.
When you break down the source of these leads, roughly 57% of them are contact form completions and the other 43% are phone calls that originated online — that’s roughly 570 online inquiries and 430 phone calls.
Their digital marketing campaign includes a mix of different tactics and initiatives, including:
Google Ads have been a strong performer for Bryan’s Fuel, and we’ve only seen their results improve over time with this service.
In the past 12 months, Google Ads has generated over 300 leads for Bryan’s Fuel.
Compared to the previous time period, there has been a 41% increase in leads from ads — which are directly traceable to improvements made to their website landing pages.
Increase in leads
These landing pages are converting more visitors into leads and Bryan’s Fuel is paying less for each click, thanks to better Google quality scores for the pages. On average, each lead from Google Ads costs the Bryan’s Fuel team less than $40.
Publishing content that answers frequently asked questions or addresses common problems in your industry is a valuable way to attract new visitors to your website. Bryan’s Fuel is a great example of how blogging can help attract a new audience.
Since August 2017, blogging has brought over 3,500 visitors to the Bryan’s Fuel site — and 90% of those users were new to the site. These users came from a variety of different sources.
Nearly one third of the users found the blogs using Google searches. Over 40% of the users arrived on the site because they were subscribed to the Bryan’s Fuel email newsletter, and another 20% came through Facebook.
Blogs are also a great way to increase traffic to your site year-over-year. By writing blogs to address a timeless (or ‘evergreen’) question or challenge, the team at Bryan’s Fuel is able to continue capturing people looking for solutions to those issues.
As a result, we’ve seen the blog traffic from Google searches to Bryan’s Fuel increase 150% over the last 12 months.
The monthly email newsletter for Bryan’s Fuel has been a consistent source of traffic and leads. Their newsletter brings between 1,500 to 2,000 visitors to their website on a yearly basis.
Each email newsletter earns between 100 and 250 website visits, depending on the season. Their email marketing is outstanding for their industry. Their emails have an average open rate of over 30% (10% higher than the industry average) and an average click-through-rate of 5%, which is more than double the industry average.
In addition to creating new blog content, the Bryan’s Fuel website has also been receiving ongoing SEO service to optimize on-site content and improve technical performance. This has resulted in a regular organic traffic increase of 10% year-over-year.
A huge focus for our efforts has been improving the rate that visitors are converting into leads on the Bryan’s Fuel site, also known as CRO or conversion rate optimization. This focus has lead to a 26% increase in leads from organic traffic — with contact form completions improving by almost 50% over the last 12 months.
The end result of the digital marketing efforts for Bryan’s Fuel is that the average cost of an online lead for Bryan’s Fuel is approximately $50.
If the Bryan’s Fuel team closes one out of every 10 leads that they receive, they will only need to make $500 in profit from that customer to break even on their marketing. If their close rate is better than 10%, they will profit with even lower margins.